Day 3 of the 12 meals of Christmas is coming to you with extra bang for your buck– 2 recipes in one, yes! This broccoli cheddar soup is as good as Panera’s, but without the MSG and if you need a little extra something on the side, then my twice baked sweet potato is perfect! For me, it helps fill the gigantic void in my heart left by crusty garlic bread when I bid wheat goodbye!
What you’ll need: 1 hour, a food processor or blender and….
2 cups of stock
2 cups of almond milk
1 white onion
2 tbsp butter
2 heads of broccoli
4-5 large carrots, shredded
- In a pot, melt the butter and cook the onion (finely diced) until translucent on medium-low heat
- Add stock, and coarsely chopped broccoli and carrots to the pot and simmer for 30 minutes
- Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender. Do it in batches if you have to, hot liquid will expand when processed. Process mixture until vegetables become as finely grated as you prefer.
- Move the mixture back to your pot on medium-low and add grated cheddar cheese and almond milk, then stir in until melted.
- Season with cayenne and black pepper to taste.
twice baked potato (you can make this is the oven while you make your soup)
What you’ll need: 1 hour and….
1 large sweet potato (for each person) 1 stick of softened butter (1/2 a cup)
a few tbsp. green onion
1 tbsp fresh sage
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 and cook potato(es) through until a fork enters easily (about 30 minutes)
- In your mixer combine the butter, green onion, and herbs to create your compound butter. If you don’t use it all on your potato you will have delicious herby butter left for other goodies!
- Remove most, but not all, of your sweet potato from its skin or “jacket” but cutting in half long ways and spooning it out into a bowl. You want to leave some sweet potato on the skin so that they don’t fall apart after they’re baked again.
- Transfer 1/3 of the herbacious butter mixture into the bowl with the contents of 1 sweet potato and mash together with 1/4 cup of plain yogurt.
- Reheat in the oven at 350 this time, in a pan since butter will run, just for 10 minutes until warmed through