In honor of Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, I want to highlight my favorite Canadian blog, www.eathealthrive.ca!
I made these pumpkin squares this weekend and they are delicious! What I love about these bars is that they call for pumpkin, which is delicious and easy on our digestive systems. I have cans ready year round for my dogs to have as meals when they’re not feeling well. It ALSO uses gelatin, packing a double bunch of gut healing food. It had been so long since I had bone broth that I convinced myself I need some powdered gelatin in my life (any excuse for sweets, right?) I use maple syrup instead of honey and almond flour in place of the arrowroot powder in this recipe. Still turns out delicious, but I do suggest letting it set overnight.
For the crust:
- ¼ c coconut flour
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot flour
- pinch of salt
- ¼ c coconut oil, dry measure then melt
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extractFor the pumpkin layer:
- 2 c pumpkin purée
- ¼ c maple syrup or honey
- ¼ c coconut oil
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1½ tsp gelatin + ¼ c water
- In a mixing bowl, combine coconut flour, arrowroot flour, and a pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre.
- Add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup or honey, water, and vanilla into the well.
- Stir until thickened and a dough forms. Press into an 8×8 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until golden on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- While the crust is cooling, prepare the pumpkin layer.
- In a small sauce pan, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and allow to soften for 5 minutes. Turn heat to low and stir to melt gelatin completely. Remove from heat.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the pumpkin puree, maple syrup (or honey), coconut oil, vanilla, pinch of salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and coconut flour.
- Combine all ingredients and process until smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture over the cooled crust and place in the refrigerator to chill for several hours or overnight.
- Cut into squares and serve with whipped coconut topping, if you fancy that!