Nothing says the holidays quite like a sausage ball, cheese straw, or piece of fudge or fruit cake! That’s what we grew up having here in the south at my grandmother’s house. I have taken on the other 3 treats in Christmases past, so I’m excited to share my recipe for these amazingly delicious keto/paleo sausage balls, which are also gluten-free!
The secret to the perfect taste of these paleo/keto sausage balls is the ground pork sausage that we get from our local farm, Reverence Farms in Saxapahaw. It is beautifully spiced, and tastes incredible because these pigs live their best life, foraging in the woods surrounding the Haw river, living as pigs should.
There are so many different takes on sausage balls, but I really wanted to keep mine simple to highlight the great pork taste. I love the coconut flour flavor with them, and the type of cheddar I used is also a favorite: Trader Joe’s Unexpected Cheddar. I hope you enjoy making this simple, yummy snack for your family this holiday season.
Paleo/Keto Sausage Balls
- 1 pound ground pork sausage (I used a pre-spiced mix from my farm. If yours is plain, you may want to add sage, fennel, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper to taste)
- 6-7 oz of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Brown sausage on stove top
- Combine browned sausage with other ingredients and mix together thoroughly
- Use hands to form mixture into 1-2 inch balls. You should have approximately 24!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top