I’m going to be straight up with you. I wish I was a person who could grab a protein bar or granola bar off the shelf. It would make life a whole lot easier. Unfortunately, they make me feel bad because they’re often loaded with fillers or gluten and ALWAYS loaded with sugar. I am allergic to some nuts, so Rx Bars are a “No-Go,” and there is truly a limit to how many Lara Bars I can consume. In fact, I’ve sort of broken up with dates lately because I really can’t take that many! Unlike Maple Syrup, the date flavor gets old for me.
Thus were born my own granola bars. These can be made vegan by leaving out the egg as a binder, but without the egg binding them, they would likely turn out more like granola (so add nut milk or yogurt and grab a spoon!)
I know making your own granola bars sounds a little “extra,” but you literally just have to stir all ingredients together in one bowl and then level them off and bake in a 9X9 pan. If you are unsatisfied with store bought granola bars for any reason, give these a shot!
It’s also the giving season, and these would be a great, impressive, and HEALTHY addition to any homemade gift basket or Fall potluck. These can also be made safe and nut free by using sunflower butter 🙂
Homemade Paleo Granola Bars
You will need 30 minutes and….
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds/ pepitas
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life dairy free!)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup nut butter or sunflower butter
- 1 TBSP cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 TBSP/ 1 Packet plain gelatin (make sure to sprinkle this evenly so it does not clump!)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, being careful to sprinkle gelatin evenly
- line a 9 x 9 baking dish with parchment paper and pack in mixture evenly and tightly
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Let cool for 15 inutes before cutting into squares
- Go for a hike!