I am so excited when I get to share vegan recipes that are nut, grain, and sugar free! This recipe ticks every common allergen box, so I can deliver to the widest range of consumers out there, which is my goal. Speaking of goals, I’m really trying to consume fewer animal products, so creating vegan treats is a priority for me lately.
Because they have virtually NO allergens, these cookies are a great option for kids’ party potlucks or schools that allow homemade treats. Personally, I really wanted to find a cookie we could enjoy at home without worrying about Alba being exposed to nuts or honey, which are not recommended for kids under 2.
This is a chewy cookie, and would be great for ice cream sandwiches or packing lunch or a picnic because they are not crumbly or over-soft.
Now, let’s get to this Vegan recipe so you can cooking! If you are not a vegan, or do not have an egg allergy, please feel free to use 1 large egg white in place of the flax egg!
Sunflower & Sesame Seed (SSS) Vegan Cookies
- 1/2 cup Tahini
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup arrowroot starch/powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup of chocolate covered sunflower seeds
- The last one is variable! I have used:
- 1. A vegan egg replacer from Bob’s red mill that contains potato starch, psyllium husk, and tapioca
- 2. One LARGE egg WHITE only
- 3. One Flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 2 tbsp water)
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Combine Coconut sugar, maple syrup, and egg white (or replacement) with electric mixer (you need a good mix on these!)
- Add all remaining ingredients except chocolate covered sunflower seeds and mix until smooooooth
- Stir in chocolate covered sunflower seed with a spoon
- Spoon mixture onto parchment covered cookie sheet. THESE COOKIES SPREAD A LOT so you will need 2 cookie sheets. You can make 12 medium sized cookies or about 16 small cookies.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until golden. I think I have a hot stove, so my bake times are always on the low side!
My hope is that you get to enjoy these delicious vegan, nut free, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free….Phew! (ha ha ha) cookies with ALL of the people you love! They are delightfully colorful and would make a great addition to your upcoming Halloween or Friendsgiving celebrations!
Thanks for visiting the blog!