Controversial Post: Corn isn’t technically Paleo, but I allow myself a few ears of sweet corn at the end of the summer for succotash. I definitely don’t eat corn in excess and ALL my recipes are lactose and gluten free.
The flavor of my grandmother’s sweet creamed corn loaded with black pepper is something I haven’t had in 20 years, yet I can still taste it! The sweetness of the corn, shrimp, and onion play well on each other in this dish and it works as a main or a side. I think it would be a fabulous addition to any Labor Day potluck! Try the optional crab meat to amp up the flavor and sweetness even more! Or sprinkle with parmesan to make it more decadent!
End of Summer Succotash (serves 2 as main course, 4 as a side)
You will need 30 minutes and…
– 3 ears of sweet corn
– 1/2 pound of large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
– 1 small sweet onion
– 1 small zucchini
– 1 heaping Tbsp. Mayonnaise
– cilantro for garnish
– salt and black pepper
– cajun spice mix or make your own with: cayenne, paprika, garlic, oregano & thyme
– 1 jalapeño or fresno chili (optional)
– 1/2 cup of cooked crab claw meat (optional)
- Grilling unshucked corn is the best way to retain that sweet flavor! Just a few minutes, rotating the corn, should do it!
- While your corn grills, dice your onion and sauté in a pan of butter or coconut oil for 5 minutes or until translucent
- Add peppers, zucchini, or any other summer vegetable you need to get rid of! That is the beauty of succotash!
- Remove Sweet Corn from the cob and add to your pan, mix everything together and season to taste
- I cook the shrimp separately, boiling it for 3-4 minutes until the shrimp is PINK and curled in on itself slightly.
- Take your pan off the heat and mix in your cooked shrimp, (crab) & mayonnaise until succotash is creamy and totally combined
- Garnish with cilantro and more seasoning!
I hope you all enjoy this dish and enjoy the LAST weekend of SUMMER! I can’t wait to start posting all my fall dishes soon!