Pickled red onions are good on just about everything. I love the brightness and acidity that they add to any dish, but Ive been using them lately on salads, burgers, tacos, steaks, and anything that is rich and can benefit from that “bite” of the vinegar. Eating fermented veggies is a cheap and healthy way to balance your gut flora and get probiotics into the microbiome. Also, I normally can’t quite handle raw onions on my sensitive stomach, so pickling them gets that oniony flavor I love back into my recipes and diet.
What you need: a few minutes and….
- A mason jar or air tight jar and lid
- 1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs. salt
- 3 tbs. maple syrup or honey
- 1 large red onion
- Slice your Red onion EXTRA THIN by using a sharp knife or mandolin
- Combine remaining ingredients into your jar and shake until sweetener is dissolved
- Add onions and let sit for at least 30 minutes. These get better the longer they marinate!
- ENJOY on Everything!!
Also great for a Antipasto Platter for a party….