I fall into that category of people who love being healthy, but are not willing to give up alcohol all together. I will admit that I drink a lot less now that we have a baby, and I feel a LOT better,and that’s no coincidence, BUT this post is about a delicious fall cocktail I want to share with you! And I totally believe in moderation in all things!
I love fall spices. I believe in grating fresh nutmeg into everything. I also love cinnamon, ginger, and ground clove to a fault. I put it on our apple sauce in the morning! This cocktail gives you the warmth and spice of all of those flavors, with a dash of acidity to lighten it, and all the health benefits of the root, turmeric.
I try to throw turmeric in whenever I can because it helps so much with inflammation, which we all battle, and digestion, which is great for me. It’s easy to add turmeric because it doesn’t have an overwhelming flavor and it adds that gorgeous goldenrod color!
If you don’t drink alcohol, but you want to enjoy these spices, it would be easy to leave it out and replace it with more juice or seltzer. As far as swap outs for the rest, I think having a fresh orange is important, and to me, the bitters really round out that “Fall” cocktail feel. I think tequila or gin would work just as well as vodka, and triple sec is optional. Oh, and I think citrus or cinnamon vodka would be amazing!
Recipe is below! Let me know what you think if you try it!
To a cocktail shaker add:
- Juice of one Orange (fresh is best!)
- 1 tsp Orange zest
- 1 splash lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp each: cinnamon, clove, nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp each: ginger and turmeric
- 3 oz (2 shots) vodka (flavored would be great if you have it!)
- 1.5 oz (1 shot) triple sec, cointreau, or citrus liqueur
- Bitters to taste (most people like 5 drops or so, I like a LOT because I love bitter)
- Shake until ice is broken up
- Pour into glass and add seltzer water as desired and a sprig of rosemary or orange peel to garnish
- ENJOY! Kick your feet up by the fire, and relax! You deserve it 🙂