I have never baked a better cookie. Even when I consumed white sugar and bleached flour and god knows what else- never tasted anything better from my kitchen. These will be in my repertoire FOR-EV-ER, so I had to get the recipe down as soon as quickly as possible. These cookies are crispy and delightfully chewy, like every cookie should be!
Tis the season for decadence, right? And these are surely that (for me). I don’t EVER eat baked goods, paleo or not. I bake cookies twice a year, which I suppose is why it took over 4 years of eating paleo to perfect my chocolate chip cookie recipe! My point is, you should make these for your annual cookie swap or christmas party, for those who may be paleo or gluten-free OR you could just make them for your family and not say a word. You see, almond meal has infinitely more nutrition than white flour AND it’s way more filling, which is why after 3 cookies, I’m writing this absolutely stuffed. These are perfect for staying on a diet/regime, but they’re also fulfilling for those of us who want to walk on the wild side and indulge during the holidays.
I’ve annotated my recipe for those of you who may be like me, and not natural bakers. Thus, I’ve justified each ingredient and why you can’t sub it out– hope this helps!
PERFECT Paleo Chocolate chip cookies (makes about 18)
- 1/2 cup of browned ghee (ghee is paleo butter because it lacks dairy and casein. Brown your ghee in a sauce pan on low heat or use butter if you are not lactose intolerant. To “brown” butter, you really just want it a shade darker than yellow/golden to achieve a caramel/nutty taste. Dark BROWN butter is actually burnt.
- 1/4 a cup of coconut sugar ( I use trader Joe’s)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla ( I use Trader Joe’s Bourbon Vanilla)
- 1/4 a cup of maple syrup ( I buy in bulk because I use it in everything)
- 2.5 cups of almond flour ( I use Trader Joe’s. It’s 6.99 and great quality)
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- himalayan sea salt
- 1 egg and 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 375 and use parchment paper to line your baking pan. Parchment paper never fails.
- Combine browned butter, coconut sugar, vanilla, and maple syrup
- Add 1 egg and 1 egg white to mixture
- Now combine almond flour and baking soda and stir until smooth. I hand stir because electric tends to over stimulate
- Add chocolate chips and pinch of salt
- Spoon Cookie Batter onto parchment and bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are brown
- I make 18 cookies in two batches
- I salt my cookies again right after they come out, so they draw in that salt while they are cooking, and have a very sea salt/ caramel taste from the browned butter.
You wont believe the chewiness you get in these paleo cookies! It’s incredible!